Amateur Radio License Exams (In-Person Only)
For this year's in-person GRCon, we will once again be hosting Amateur Radio License exams for those interested in obtaining or upgrading their licenses (check out ARRL's overview for more details about Licenses). We are working with two local Amateur Radio groups:
- Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society, W4BFB - Tues. Sept. 21, 2021, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM. The test session is free. All costs are covered by a GRCon21 Patron.
- The Charlotte Amateur Radio Club, W4CQ - Fri. Sept. 24, 2021, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM. The test session is free. All costs are covered by the Charlotte Amateur Radio Club.
- During the test session, if the examinee passes one level of test, they can take the exam for the next level at the same test session. For example, if they pass the Technician test, they can take the General class exam.
- Please sign up for one session only, as we have limited space/availability.
How to sign up:
- Go to GRCon Registration.
- If you haven't already done so, register for In-Person attendance: Regular or Student.
- Scroll down to "In-Person Amateur Radio License Exam Sessions".
- Choose a session and "Add to cart".
- Complete the questions and purchase.
Once you have registered for a test session, you must do the following by Sept. 11, 2021:
- Obtain a Federal Registration Number (FRN). You won't be able to take an exam without one. Go to: Getting an FCC Registration Number (FRN).
- Send an email to email@example.com with your name, email address, your callsign (if you have a current amateur radio callsign), your FRN, the exams you plan to take (Technician, General, Extra), and which session you have registered for (Tuesday or Friday).
For the test session you will need to bring the following:
- A Government Photo ID (Drivers License / Passport / etc.).
- Your original Amateur License and a copy (if upgrading). See ARRL's page on How to Obtain an Official FCC License Copy.
- For those who recently took an exam but have yet to obtain an official FCC license: Any Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE)’s and copies from previous exams.
- (Optional) Non-programmable calculators are allowed. Programmable calculators are NOT ALLOWED unless their memories can be cleared or reset at the exam session site by the testing crew prior to the start of the exam.
- Note: cell phones must be turned off (or put in Airplane mode) and set aside during the exam.